Friday, July 22, 2011

Big Sean 'Hype' About First VMA Nomination

'I called my mom and I woke her up,' the G.O.O.D. Music MC tells MTV News of finding out about his nod on tour.
By Rob Markman


Big Sean
Photo: Theo Wargo/ WireImage

Big Sean received his first VMA nomination on Wednesday, and hopefully it won't be his last. In the opening scene of his "My Last" video with Chris Brown, Sean looks into the camera and says, "I feel like my dreams are coming true" — must be because the Detroit rhyme spitter is up for Best New Artist.

"Man, I was hype as hell," the G.O.O.D. Music MC told MTV News. "I called my mom at like midnight. I was in Charlotte [North Carolina] last night when I found out, and I called my mom and I woke her up," said Sean, who is on tour with fellow Best New Artist nominee Wiz Khalifa. "I cracked a bottle and everything. That was a real big accomplishment."

The competition is tough, with Tyler, the Creator ("Yonkers"), Kreayshawn ("Gucci Gucci") and indie poppers Foster the People ("Pumped Up Kicks") also up for the award. Sean obviously wants to win, but just being in the conversation is a win for him.

"I, of course, knew it was a possibility, but it's tight to just see it actually come to fruition," Sean said of his mind-set back when he filmed the video. "When I was on the set of the video, I was just hoping it comes out good. This is just like an added bonus."

Sean isn't the only member of his crew nominated: His big homey Kanye West snagged seven nominations, including nods for Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Male Video and Best Collaboration for his "All of the Lights" clip. "He definitely deserves all of them, man, I think so," Big Sean said. "Especially Best Collaboration. That was just crazy, 'All of the Lights.' He had Elton John, everybody on there, Fergie, Alicia Keys, Cudi, everybody, The-Dream."

The Finally Famous lyricist is in full support of his mentor. "Kanye always goes hard. I'm proud of him. I was telling him how proud of him I was the other day. He's inspiring, he deserves every bit," he said. "He gives his whole life to music, his whole life. He's one of the most selfless people I know, so I'm excited. Hopefully, it's gonna be a good night."

The 28th annual MTV Video Music Awards will air live on Sunday, August 28, from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles at 9 p.m. ET/PT. See the list of nominees, revisit last year's highlights and vote for your favorites in the general categories by visiting VMA.MTV.com.

Related Videos Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1667724/big-sean-video-music-award-nomination.jhtml

Carla Campbell Carla Gugino Carmen Electra Carol Grow Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment